The 5G-ready Galaxy Z Fold 2 is Samsung’s third attempt at a foldable smartphone since the release of the Galaxy Fold in the spring of 2019 and the Galaxy Z Flip in February of 2020.
- The foldable smartphone starts shipping on September 18 with a $1999 price tag.
- The Galaxy Z Fold 2 is available for pre-order from Samsung’s website.
- It comes in two colors: bronze and black. The hinge is available in metallic red, silver, gold, and blue.
- A stylish Thom Browne Edition is available.
Galaxy Z Fold 2 Features
The Galaxy Z Fold 2 offers an array of improvements compared to the original Galaxy Fold. Here’s what you need to know.
- Glass screen folds like a book.
- The camera has a hands-free option, where you can wave your hand to take a picture.
- The screen emits reduced blue light, so its easier on your eyes.
- No notch and slim bezels—just a tiny punch hole for the camera—make for more screen real estate.
- Has a Hideaway Hinge for a streamlined look.
- 120 Hz refresh rate on the main screen.
- Samsung’s improved AI saves battery life.
- Wireless charging support.
- Comes with an array of VIP benefits (scroll down to learn more).
Galaxy Z Fold 2 Specs and Hardware
The Galaxy Z Fold 2 improves upon its predecessor in many ways, including upgrading from a plastic to a glass display, adding a more reliable hinge, and removing the thumb-shaped notch.
The glass display should be more conducive to folding and unfolding than the original Fold’s plastic one. Speaking of folding, Samsung’s Flex mode lets you fold the smartphone and lock the screen at any angle. The hinge is strong enough to stay open at a variety of angles so you can stand it up to watch a movie, have a video chat, or take photos using a hand gesture, for example.
This smartphone has app continuity when folding and unfolding, so your work or play isn’t interrupted. You can use two apps on the smaller cover screen, and three on the main screen using the split-screen feature.
Users can launch up to 3 supported apps simultaneously and save the layout, so those apps will appear just like that every time you start up the phone.
There are two cool camera features too. Photo-takers can use the Cover screen to show a preview of camera shots to their subjects. Auto framing keeps your subjects centered and in focus, and widens and narrows the view as people enter and leave the scene.
Finally, its larger, 7.6-inch main screen has a 120 Hz refresh rate, which is excellent for gaming.
|Galaxy Z Fold 2 Specs-at-a-glance|
|Operating System||Android 10|
|Dimensions (Folded)||6.26 by 2.67 by 0.6 inches|
|Dimensions (Unfolded)||6.26 by 5.04 by 0.27 inches|
|Screen Size (Folded)||6.2 inches|
|Screen Size (Unfolded)||7.6 inches|
|Screen Resolution||2260 by 816 pixels (inner); 2208 by 1768 (outer)|
|Camera (Front)||Dual 10-megapixel lenses|
|Camera (Rear)||Triple 12 megapixel lenses|
|Hardware/chipset||Qualcomm Snapdragon 865+ 12GB RAM|
|Battery Size||4500 mAh|
Galaxy Z Premier Perks
Galaxy Z Premier is Samsung’s VIP club for foldable phones. The smartphone includes Galaxy Z Concierge, which offers 24/7 support and a discounted screen replacement if you damage it within a year of purchase.
Other benefits include a membership to Founders Card, an organization for entrepreneurs, a prepared meal from a Michelin starred restaurant, access to participating golf and country clubs across the U.S., and more. Samsung continually adds benefits to the program.